Pages

Tuesday 22 December 2020

SLJ Activity 12 Week 2

 LI: To create an Xylophone made from paper.


Today's challenge was to create an xylophone using glasses of water and rolled up paper. The first thing I did was watch the instructional video that nano girl created of her showing us about how to make the xylophones. I first made the paper xylophone by rolling up some pieces of colored paper and I think started hitting them. The longer tubes created a more deeper sound and the shorter tubes created a higher pitch than the longer ones. 

After that I moved on to using glasses of water to create the same effect by creating high and low pitches like the paper xylophone. For this I had to pour water into the glasses but they must be all different amounts of water used four cups and poured in the water and then tapped on the glasses I heard the lower and high pitches the glasses with less water gave a higher pitch and the glasses with more water had a lower pitch this is because the cups with more water had less space for the vibrations to travel cause the vibration stopped at wherever the water is at.

Something that I have noticed when creating the paper xylophones is that when I used a mix of thinner and thicker paper the thinner paper did not produce a clear sound the sound was not as strong while the thicker paper gave off a more stronger sound and I could hear it more clearly. I really enjoyed doing this activity becuase it is something new that I have note tried before and becuase I learnt alot of new things during the activity.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Juel,
    Great learnings about the paper thickness - do you know why different thicknesses of paper might make a different quality of sound. What are real xylophones made from? Are they made from a thick and stiff material or a flexible one like thin paper?
    These are all the questions we ask ourselves as scientists when trying to discover new things.
    So happy you completed your xylophone!
    Nanogirl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nano girl,

      Thank you very much for commenting on my blog and for telling me what I did well. I do not know why it made a different sound depending of the thickness of the paper. Could you tell me why this happens. I think that an Xylophone is made from a thick and stiff material.

      Thank you very much!

      Delete
  2. Kia ora Juel,

    You have written a great blog post all about the Nanogirl xylophone challenge and included a cool photo of your bright xylophone so we can see what you made. Ka pai! What you have written shows you have done some great reflecting about the task, and really thought about what works well and what doesn't.

    If you wanted to, you could make a video of yourself playing the water filled glasses. It would be awesome to hear the different tones and pitches you create!

    Keep up the great blogging - I can’t wait to see more of your posts over the summer.

    Ngā mihi nui,
    Fiona (SLJ).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Malo E Lelei Fiona,

      Thank you very much for commenting on my blog post and for the advice and for telling me what I did good I am most thankful.
      I think that next time I will try to make a video when I come across another activity the is like this one.

      Thank you very much!

      Delete